Week 10 Finished Object
- In response to the theme of Forces, I created a small game in Unity. It's a puzzle game where the player has to reach the end and jump over obstacles. I made this game by limiting myself by using these three rules:
1- Every time you die in-game your screen becomes darker
2- Make SFX with only one sound. You can find royalty-free audio online but it has to be less than 3 seconds
3- The game has to be in orthographic mode only.
- The game is simple, surpass the obstacles and reach the end before. Every time you fall off the map, the screen gets a bit darker, if it reaches opaque, then you have to restart the game from the menu. Also with a slight challenge, the camera mode is orthographic so all the platforms seem like they are placed right next to each other but they aren’t. You watch the gameplay video here (Dar, 2022).
- One of the main challenges was creating SFX with one 3 second sound. I don’t have that much knowledge in making Audio so I just tinkered around with Audacity software and got the SFX results which were player footsteps, UI click and player starting SFX. I also created unfinished background music with the single audio that plays now and then in the game. The first song that came to my mind was “Never gonna give you up” by Rick Astley.
- Similar work on using limited tools/assets was done by Peter France (France, 2022) who works in the Corridor Studio team. The studio team did a challenge and they tasked him to create an environment by using one primitive object which was the prism as shown in this video here (Corridor Crew, 2022).
Week 10 References
- Corridor Crew, 2022. IRON CHEF but it’s a VFX Challenge. [video] Available at: <https://youtu.be/jQyEAz5op4w?t=160> [Accessed 15 May 2022].
- Dar, K., 2022. CPS Week 10_Forces. [video] Available at: <https://youtu.be/M-1hiKzbLfE> [Accessed 15 May 2022].
- France, P., 2022. Peter France on YouTube. [online] Youtube.com. Available at: <https://www.youtube.com/c/PeterFrance> [Accessed 15 May 2022].